Friday, October 12, 2012

a glimpse

Earlier this summer our lawnmower broke. Which put my roommates and I in a bind and caused us to not care for the yard for a month and a half. Yikes! The embarrassment of our "jungle" resulted in us running into the house before neighbors could make eye contact. If you visit our house, the inside is sweetly decorated and kept clean most of the time. And on a personal level, my roommates and I are kind, loving, and life-giving to others.

But if you saw our yard, we looked negligent. The outside of our house was just as important as the inside including the people in it, but it was in poor shape.

Just the same if our yard was deemed Yard of the Month (yes they do that in our neighborhood, and no we have not won), yet looked disheveled behind closed doors, that's not a healthy way to live either. Nor is it healthy to always be concerned with what my neighbors or others think of me. But there is health in taking care of what I have been given.

I think in someways that directly relates to the whole inner beauty/outer beauty thing. In my opinion the inner and outer should connect. They should reflect. They should say the same thing when it comes to who I am.

When I was younger, I thought the way someone dressed showed what they valued most (which could be true at times). Meaning: minimal effort=quality heart and well groomed=shallow and vain. How wrong was that?!

Long ago, I graduated college with a MAT degree. MAT meaning Merchandising, Apparel, and Textiles. In simpler terms, a fashion degree. When I graduated I did what any normal fashionista would do...I went into full-time ministry. Drastically different.

If you know me well, you know still I love clothes. The way I creatively express myself the most is through the way I dress. Of course there is much more depth to who I am, but to me it's a fun, small way to take risks in life. To enjoy and try new things. To challenge myself to be creative. To show a little glimpse of who I am.

I love helping friends figure out how to pair things and take risks. The use of a belt, scarf, or statement necklace can add excitement and confidence to a woman's life. A sassy dress can bring out the qualities I love the most in a good friend.

Part of this blog will be introducing you to my closet and all that it contains. My hope is to share a little more of who I am. Welcome to my wardrobe and a little glimpse of me!




No comments:

Post a Comment